What To Do If You Are Hit By A Driver Running A Red Light
● Call the police and file a report. A police report will be helpful during the claims process.
● Do not admit fault at any point.
● If possible take photos of your injuries, the vehicles, the intersection, and the view from each street facing the light. Photographic evidence is very useful to prove your claim.
● Get the names and contact information from any witnesses. You may need to contact them in the future to make a statement on your behalf.
● Contact your insurance company and let them know about the accident. Give minimal details and do not admit any fault.
● See a doctor immediately. The sooner you go to the doctor, the better as it will connect your injuries to the accident.
● Contact an attorney
How Do I Sue A Driver Who Ran A Red Light?
When someone runs a red light and hits you they have violated Florida law. Their action entitles you to make a claim for the damages and injuries that result from the accident. Most of the time the other driver has no excuse for running a red light. Though they may try to justify it by saying that the light was obstructed or not working, they still violated that law and therefore faces responsibility for their actions. The best step you can take in this scenario is to hire an attorney experienced in auto accident law.
Suing For Red Light Accidents in Florida
Since it is a no fault state, lawsuits in the state of Florida are strictly reserved for injuries that are going to be permanent, such as brain injuries or spinal cord injuries. However, that is not saying that your injuries could still result in long term damage down the road. Red light accidents can cause serious injuries in addition to damages to your car. Regulation also says that you can file for injuries that cause a minimum of $10,000 in medical expenses or lost wages.
Do I Really Need To Hire An Attorney To Sue When The Other Driver Is At Fault?
One thing that is vital for you to remember is that all insurance companies have multiple lawyers whose main goal is to save the insurance company money. If you choose to work with the insurance company instead of a personal injury attorney, be prepared to receive less compensation that you deserve. You are better served if you hire a personal injury attorney.
If you’ve been hit by a driver running a red light in Port Charlotte or the surrounding communities, All Injuries Law Firm can help. With over 30 years of success in dealing with insurance companies, we know exactly what steps to take to protect your rights and get you a fair settlement. Give us a call at 941-625-4878 or toll free at 888-583-4878 for a free consultation to learn more.