After a slip and fall accident has occurred, there are some things a person should do retain their right to a settlement. A few steps that must be taken after a slip and fall include:
• Seek medical attention – Even if you believe your slip and fall hasn’t caused any injuries, one can never be sure until they’ve been evaluated by a medical professional. Soft tissue injuries and some TBIs might not show symptoms straight away, and you want to make sure you’re protected. By waiting to be seen after a slip and fall, you may make your ability to seek compensation more difficult, or forfeit your ability to seek compensation at all.
• File an accident report – In some instances, a person may be too injured to file a report at the time of the accident, instead of seeking medical attention immediately following their fall. In these cases, filing an accident report should be your next step. This can be done by finding who is in charge of the property on which you fell, and asking to file a formal report. Some businesses will have policies in place in case of an accident, and a report will be filed and sent to their insurance company. If there are no policies in place, obtain an e-mail or physical address and send the property owner a full and detailed report of the incident as soon as possible. If the police or security create a report, always obtain a copy.
• Start a file for your accident – The evidence collection process starts straight away, and starting a file for your accident will ensure that all of your necessary information is in one place. In this file keep copies of all reports, correspondences, medical bills, receipts, and any witness information so you have it on hand.
• Gather information from witnesses – If you had your slip and fall accident in a place where others witnessed what happened, gathering witness information is another important part of the evidence collection process. These witness testimonies will help to corroborate your accident story and validate your claim to any insurance company or property owner you may be seeking compensation from.
• Take lots of photos – Taking photos is another crucial part of evidence collection, and it should be done as quickly as possible after the accident has occurred. If you’re in the hospital for a prolonged time, you may even have a friend or family member take photos of the accident scene for you. In these photos, make sure to capture any hazards that contributed to your fall and in similar weather or moisture conditions as those you experienced.
Knowing what to do after a slip and fall accident can greatly help your ability to recoup your losses, thereby making your recovery process much easier. With the right evidence and preparations in place, along with a skilled Florida personal injury attorney, you can be well on your way to the compensation you deserve.