What Are My Legal Options If I’m Bitten By Someone Else’s Dog?
Common Injuries From Dog Bites
When a dog bite is very severe, it can cause serious medical issues. Here are the most common injuries that you can sustain after a dog bite:
● Punctured Skin: A puncture wound is when the dog’s teeth sink into your flesh. Even a small dog's teeth can leave a deep puncture wound which can lead to infection
● Infection: Dog’s teeth and nails have bacteria in them, which leads to a higher chance of infection in you when you are bitten
● Nerve Damage: People often do not realize that even a small dog has strong jaws. If a dog should bite you, especially in the face or neck you can end up with serious nerve damage.
● Emotional Stress: When you are bitten by a dog or any animal attack it is a very traumatizing experience. When a child is bitten, they may develop nightmares, and even begin to show symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder.
● Scarring: Most of the time dog bites will hear. But permanent scarring can occur. This is especially traumatizing when it is on the face. This usually leads to When this painful and extensive reconstructive surgery that could take years.
If your dog bite has lead to any of these issues, you need to file a claim and seek the help of an attorney.
Do I Need to Hire an Attorney?
Dog bites fall under personal injury laws, which gives you the right to ask for compensation. A good personal injury attorney can assist you in obtaining the maximum reimbursement for:
● Medical Expenses: Medical expenses includes all future medical bills as well as the current bills for treatment, prescriptions, and physical therapy.
● Lost Wages: Lost wages not only means the time you have to take off from work to recover but also the time you have to take off to go to your medical appointments and any missed benefits.
● Permanent Disability: If you are permanently disabled or disfigured in a way that impacts your earning capability or your normal life, you are entitled to damages.
● Emotional Distress: Dog bites can cause trauma that requires the help of a mental support professional. The costs of therapy for emotional distress are also covered.
● Property Damage: Property damages can include things like your torn clothing and incidentals such as broken glasses.
● Any Other Costs: These are costs incurred as a result of your injury. One example of this is the cost of a cleaning lady as you cannot maintain your house while recovering from your injuries.
What Does An Attorney Do in Dog Bite Cases?
Getting an attorney to represent you does not automatically mean you are going to file a lawsuit. An attorney well versed in dog bite cases will file a claim for compensation with the owner’s insurance carrier. It is well known that insurance companies will offer you less than what they would offer if you have an attorney representing you. Even paying the attorney’s contingency fee, you can get compensated 66% more than what insurance companies will try to offer. Here are the things a personal injury attorney will do for dog bite victims:
• An attorney will gather all data for you such as medical records, witness statements, and police reports.
• They will make sure clear photos of your injuries are made by a professional photographer and show documentation of medical treatments.
• Your attorney will not only look at the hours you have lost for wages, but also knows to include loss of work benefits and performance reviews.
• Your attorney covers all costs to present your case until you receive compensation
• If you are permanently disfigured, your attorney has the experience to determine future costs as far as medical, wages and emotional distress
Hiring an attorney as soon as possible after the dog bite will make your claim easier to settle and will guarantee you a larger compensation. The average person is too inexperienced to deal with insurance companies and runs the risk of being taken advantage of by their tricks. Rather than missing out on fair compensation, you should retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorneys at All Injuries Law Firm. We offer free case reviews for dog bite victims and can help you get the full compensation to cover your dog bite injuries. Contact us today to learn more!