What Are Furniture Tip Overs
Furniture tip overs are when furniture, including appliances, tip over from their weight. They can happen randomly when a piece of furniture is not properly secured and are top heavy. The furniture can then falls over. Tip overs can also happen as the result of climbing or moving furniture. Furniture is really heavy and if it falls onto a person it can cause fractures, sprains, and even suffocation. Furniture tip overs are especially dangerous for small children who can be crushed under the heavy weight.
Safety Tips For Preventing Injury From Furniture Tip Overs
The best thing to do you can do to prevent furniture tip overs is to make sure all your furniture is safely secured and anchored. Here are some other important tips to prevent furniture tip overs:
- Buy sturdy furniture that will not buckle under the weight of the objects placed upon it. It may be tempting to buy cheap furniture to save money but sturdy furniture is less likely to break or tip over.
- Follow assembly instructions carefully. If furniture is not properly assembled it’s more likely to buckle, break, or fall. Also if the instructions recommend anchoring the furniture to the wall, follow those instructions carefully as well.
- Top heavy furniture like bookcases, dressers, display cases, or anything tall should always be secured to the wall with anti-tip brackets. Most new furniture comes with anti-tip brackets, but you can also purchase them at hardware stores.
- Secure your television to the wall. Whether your television is wall mounted or on a television stand, make sure your television is always secured to the wall to prevent tip overs. Televisions should also only be places on furniture designed to hold the weight of a television so it doesn’t buckle causing the television to fall over.
- Keep objects within reach. If you have items you use everyday keep them on lower shelves. Only use higher shelves to store objects you will not need to access routinely. This lower your chances of causing a tip over from climbing or pulling things from the top shelf.
- Do not store tempting items like toys, candies, or even tv remotes in high locations. Children will want to climb to reach these things and can fall or cause a tip over.
- Never move furniture by yourself. The furniture may be too heavy and can fall on you. Also if you do have a tip over accident, you need someone there to help you.
Important Furniture Recalls
The next thing you can do to help prevent injuries and fatalities from tip overs to is to pay attention to furniture recalls. A manufacturer may poorly design a piece of furniture that ends up being a serious tip over hazard. You can find out about safety recalls and how to resolve them at the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website at: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/. You should also check these safety recalls before purchasing any new furniture so that you are buying the safest furniture for your home.
Furniture tip overs can be very scary, however they are 100% preventable if you follow these safety tips. Unfortunately, not all furniture is manufactured safely, so if you or your family member has been injured in a tip over accident from a recalled product, contact the attorneys at All Injuries Law Firm. Our expert personal injury lawyers have years of experience with furniture tip over injuries and can help you prove manufacturer liability. So contact us today for a free consultation to learn how we can help!