Common Types Of Repetitive Strain Injuries
Repetitive movement over time creates a gradual degeneration and an employee can end up with a debilitating medical condition. In fact many RSIs can cause severe pain, swelling, numbness and even permanent nerve damage. Some common forms of RSI’s include:
● Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Pinched nerve in the wrist causing numbness
● Cubital Tunnel Syndrome: Pressure on the ulnar nerve (funny bone) causing forearm pain, weakness in the hands.
● Rotator Cuff Injury: Muscles and tendons of shoulder causing a constant dull ache in shoulder.
● Loss Of Hearing.
● Tendonitis: Inflammation or irritation of forearm causing chronic pain and loss of motion of the shoulder.
● Bursitis: Small fluid filled sacs that cushion the tendons and muscles near your joints. When these sacs become inflamed it is very painful. Found mostly in the shoulder.
● Trigger Finger: Known as “stenosing tenosynovitis” a tendon in the finger becomes inflamed, causing pain, stiffness or locking when you bend or straighten a finger.
Repetitive Strain Injuries Can Cause A Lifetime Of Pain
Repetitive strain injuries affect sufferers on a daily basis and not just at work. It impairs their daily tasks. For example, a worker who has carpal tunnel from typing for years may be unable to drive due to the constant numbness. Some common examples of symptoms are as follows:
● Burning, or shooting pain in the affected area
● Lack of strength
● Difficulty with everyday activities like food preparation, opening car doors or getting dressed
If you believe you have a work-related repetitive strain injury, it is in your best interest to contact an attorney. You need to keep in mind that workmen's compensation insurers are companies that work for profit. Their job is to do everything they can to minimize or negate your benefits.
The Challenge Of Proving RSI
When it comes to workman’s compensation claims, it is easy to prove an injury from a faulty machine, it is harder to prove it occurred over the years. Insurance companies know that this is a tough thing to prove and will use this difficulty to their advantage. They will claim that you already had the injury, the injury came from your last job, or even that you are faking the injury. What’s worse, is even when they are wrong they can get away with these claims because it is difficult to prove otherwise.
Workman’s Compensation Cases for Repetitive Stress Injuries are Challenging
Under Florida law, you must prove your injury or medical condition is actually linked to your job. While this seems straightforward it can be very challenging. This is because it is difficult to pinpoint the cause of an injury that develops over time. It is imperative that you obtain the appropriate medical treatment as soon as possible to obtain the necessary medical documentation that the RSI is work related. It is also critical that you obtain the services of a skilled workman’s compensation attorney.
The dedicated workman’s compensation attorneys at All Injuries Law Firm are ready to help you. Our team is well versed in the complexity that is involved in RSI. We have been helping Florida RSI victims for over 30 years and know exactly the methods to get the insurance companies to pay a fair settlement. We will provide you will a free case evaluation and help you understand all of your options. Don’t let the insurance companies deny your claim, call us today!