Auto Accidents

Workers Compensation

Social Security

Storm Damage Claims

Call Now For A Free Consultation

(941) 625-4878
Attorney Referrals
& Co Counselor
Contact All Injuries Law Firm

Auto Accidents Out Of State: Know Your Rights

Getting into an auto accident is traumatic enough, but imagine how tough it would be if you were vacationing with your family or on a business trip out of your home state? If you’ve gotten into an accident out of state, you may not know where to turn. Accidents happen often with out of state drivers, so there are laws that can help protect you. Here is what you need to know if you are ever in an accident out of state.

Will My Insurance Company Cover Me Out Of State?

Most car insurance companies will cover you if you are traveling in the United States. However, it is important to know that liability limits are different in different states and you are required by the state where the accident happens to comply with their insurance requirements and not the requirements of your home state. There is a good chance that your insurance company will not adjust for the liability in that state. Added to that, each state has their own laws regarding limitations and conditions. A good idea is to check with your insurance company before leaving the state to make sure you have enough coverage no matter where you are traveling.

What Should You Do If You’re In An Accident Out Of State

Should you get into an accident at home our out of state there are some things you should automatically do:

● Call the police immediately.
● Seek out medical attention.
● Get pictures of the entire accident scene. If you cannot perhaps a passenger can.
● Get the names of the witnesses if you are able.
● Notify your insurance company.
● Get a copy of the police report.

Since in most cases, you will be at home when you file a claim, it’s important to gather all the evidence you can while you are still in town.

Can I Sue If My Accident Was Out Of State?

As a Florida resident, if you are injured in an auto accident, you are eligible for compensation for severe injuries in Florida. The question is where and how do you file? Jurisdiction is the court’s right to preside over the case. Jurisdiction is almost always in the state where the accident occurred. That means the case will be determined by the laws of that state. You will also need to meet that state’s “threshold”. The threshold is meeting or exceeding that state’s classification or laws regarding the definition of severe injuries. For example, in the state of Florida, you can only ask for “pain and suffering” if your injuries are significant, permanent, or a fatality occurred. This may be different in another state.

How Do I Hire An Attorney For An Out Of State Accident?

This can be a bit tricky. If you are close to the border of your home state there are many attorneys who carry licenses for both states. However, if you are further away it is always recommended to hire an attorney from that state and city the accident occurred in. It is important that you interview several via phone if necessary and determine who is right the right fit for you and can meet your needs.

Accidents In Florida With An Out Of State Driver

Florida is known for its many landmarks and attractions bringing people in from all areas of the country. Many people from around the United States come to Florida to spend the winters. Dealing with an accident involving an out of state visitor can also be complicated. The plus side of living in Florida is that under Florida laws, any person driving on Florida roads automatically consents to appear in court if an accident occurs. As Florida is a no-fault state, you would contact your own insurance company. You may want to consult with an attorney as well. Should you chose to file a lawsuit, jurisdiction would be in the state of Florida.

When you want to ensure your needs are covered, you need an attorney who is assertive, willing to work for you and go the extra mile. With a reputation of successful lawsuits settled, the attorneys from the All Injuries Law Firm know how to help you get the settlement you deserve. No matter where the other driver is from, if you are hit in Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Fort Myers, or the surrounding areas we can help. Call us today at 941-265-HURT for a free consultation to learn more!